The first 2017-18 Lions year Leadership Training was held on September 30th at the Garden Grove Clubhouse. Forty-Five Lions from the District and from District 4L2 attended this training. Steve Thomas, Performance Consultant, Dale Carnegie of Orange County, kicked off a highly interactive discussion on key leadership topics – goal setting, planning, and communication. Steve spoke about:
- Triangle of Success
- Cycle of Performance
- Creating a Vision & Setting Goals
- Stating Opinions with Credibility & Disagreeing Agreeably
- Communicating with People of Different Styles
Lions had the opportunity to understand different personality styles so they can better work with their fellow Lions on projects. By understanding how other personality styles engage and react, Lions can create an environment which makes full use of everyone’s talents and skills. Steve also had each participant create their own Vision statement using powerful, present tense, active language. Attendees had the chance to share their statements and were provided feedback from other attendees.
The leadership discussion was followed by a practical application of what was learned. Attendees were broken into their Regions and tasked with creating a Region-wide event. Each group was asked to identify a project, select several dates for performing the project, name a project chair, and report back to the attendees. Here are the planned projects:
Foothill Region – Diabetes Awareness and Health Fair on February 24, 2018.
Orange Region – TBD
Saddleback Region – Diabetes Screening along with the Tustin Host Lions Vision Screening on April 24, 2018
Here is what some participants had to say about the training seminar:
- Everything! Great information to share with others
- Whole course was excellent. Facilitator was excellent
- Learning and knowing various types of personality traits and behaviors
- The sharing finding out that we are 4 different personalities that are all needed and who can work together to accomplish our goals
- Learning how to disagree amicably. Learning the different personality styles. Engaging speaker.